Location of Bolgatanga, Ghana, near the Burkina Faso border.Bolgatanga, colloquially known as Bolga, is the capital of both the Bolgatanga Municipal District and the Upper East Region of Ghana, and has a population of about 50,000 (2000.
Bolga is the major town between Tamale 161 km (about 100 miles) to the south and the border.
It is bounded by the Republic of Burkina Faso , 45 km (about 28 miles) to the north, and the Republic of Togo , about 30 km (about 18.5 miles) to the east.
Bolga lies in the Red Volta River Valley (which serves as a major migration route of elephants), with the White Volta River and the cliffs of the Gambaga Escarpment to the south of the city.
The Hon. David Apasera (PNC) is the Parliamentary Representative for the Bolgatanga Municipal District (as of 2006).
History of Bolgatanga
Historically Bolgatanga was situated at the terminus of the ancient Trans-Saharan trade route. The eastern route traveled through Northern Nigeria, converging with the Sahelian route from Mali via Burkina Faso, near Bolgatanga. Along the route, handicrafts; especially straw baskets, hats and fans, as well as leather goods, metal jewellery and indigenous attires called “Fugu” were exchanged for kola nuts and salt.
The Upper East Region, where Bolgatanga lies, is part of what used to be known as the Upper Region. Between 1902 and 1960 the Northern Territory was a British protectorate, it was separated into the Northern and Upper Region on July 1, 1960. The Upper Region was later apportioned into Upper East and Upper West Region in 1983 during the PNDC rule. From Wikipedia